Dear SBC (Southern Baptist Convention #SBC18), I spent this morning praying, asking God to please reveal Himself to the people I love, entreating Him to sift me, confessing my sins and thanking Him over and over again for His grace and mercy. I write this while on vacation, burdened again by difficult news coming from […]
video goes here
Tag Archives | sexual abuse
February 6, 2018
When I rallied enough gumption to tell my babysitter, a person in authority (at least over me), that teenage boys were raping me, she let me think she would take care of the problem. But the next day the boys took me away to do what they were wont to do to me that kindergarten […]
January 28, 2011
When Thin Places released this year, I felt naked. And rightfully so. I shared my story stark on the page there, my heart displayed for all to see. The pain, the neglect, the sexual abuse, the divorces–all these damaged me and my heart. Hints of those injuries haunt me today still. One thing that really […]
November 9, 2010
Yesterday Trudy wrote: Do you sometimes feel disconnected when or after you tell your story – kind of like you’re another person outside of yourself, not wanting to feel the pain? How do you deal with it? My counselor once said that the more one shares the painful story, the more empowered one becomes. Do […]
September 19, 2010
I’m thankful to have a blog post up on The Washington Post about the Belgium Catholic Church scandal. You can read When Sex Abuse Isn’t Taken Seriously here. I can’t describe how angry I get when I hear about victims being ignored or shunned or silenced. Something akin to a holy roar rises up inside […]
July 26, 2010
Note: This post is part of the Idea Camp’s exploration of sexual abuse. It happened so long ago. Nearly forty years now. The picture at the top of this post is me, aged five. The year the boys came and took me away. Stole a year of my life. In ravines. Under trees. In a […]
April 27, 2010
Yesterday on my run, the song “Cedars of Lebanon” by U2 came up. The last stanza stunned me. It’s taken me a day to digest it, but I believe there’s deep truth for the victims of sexual abuse hidden there. The lyrics: Choose your enemies carefully, ’cause they will define you Make them interesting […]
April 22, 2010
This is a hard post to write and admit to. But it’s true. You’d think that someone who was a victim of abuse would shun that victimhood status the moment she realized it, flinging it as far as the East is from the West. Nope. I coddled it. Nursed it. Loved it to ragged death. […]
April 20, 2010
In no particular order, here are ten things I’ve dealt with in the aftermath of being raped as a five-year-old: I have believed I have no worth, other than to be used for someone else’s pleasure. I’m thankful this has faded quite a bit, and Jesus has healed me of so much. Still, it lingers. […]
April 18, 2010
This came from a reader recently: A thought for your blog sometime… I would be really interested in hearing you talk more about this idea that those who are abused are”marked.” I read about this and believe that it’s true, but I’d like to hear more of your thoughts on it. I’ll answer this in […]
Help Pray Every Day Reach the World
Join the restoried!
- 30 Compelling & Creative Blog Post Ideas March 2, 2011
- May 21, 2005
- What I’m Thankful For February 4, 2009
- April 18, 2005
- January 24, 2005
- 1000 Episodes of Pray Every Day! October 27, 2020
- An Uncommon Friend July 26, 2020
- Thank God for NOT giving me what I thought I needed July 11, 2020
- I despise neediness in myself June 16, 2020
- Celebrating = healing June 1, 2020
- Mary DeMuth, Restory Show podcast host | Q&A - Katherine Scott Jones: […] people to share their stories with liste...
- Let's Go To She Speaks! - April Things to Do - Do A New Thing: […] Mary DeMuth is another best-selling auth...
- No One Elevates Women Like King Jesus - Mary DeMuth (Pod #89) - Jesus Smart: […] BOOKS & ART BY MARY DEMUTH — S...
- Restored & Re-Storied: An Interview with Mary DeMuth – Bible Advocate: […] I discovered a woman named Mary DeMuth....
- Called to Write or Be a Writer | T. Murphy Writes: […] read this article by Mary DeMuth […...