Do you have these little monsters in your head? The Shoulds? Oh, I must have a plethora of them, vying for attention, screaming, screeching, wailing, throttling. All at once, they clamor:
- You should put notes in your kids’ lunch boxes.
- You should run every single day.
- You should pray with your husband more.
- You should give more undivided attention to the people in your life.
- You should get the compost bin back in shape.
- You should do more of those visual, small-art projects you touted this week.
- You should go through all those files.
- You should catch up on your business books.
- You should join the PTA.
- You should eat more vegetables.
Alas, these aren’t the ten commandments, but they sure feel like it. And this is giving you one nanosecond of my crazy Should-filled brain. How is one to cope?
- Be in a position to listen to what the Holy Spirit is saying.
- Have the wherewithal to obey.
- Leave the consequences of the obedience in His hands.
- Then NOT berate myself with the other Shoulds yelling in my brain.
Easier said than done, though. I run through life feeling less than, all those Shoulds berating me for my lack of doing them.