Today my son is eighteen years old. He’s six foot four, intelligent, thoughtful and amazing. (Yes, I’m a biased mom.) I can’t wait to see what God will do with his life in the coming years. Here are 18 things I love about Aidan.
- He has a heart for the less fortunate. When he was in sixth grade, he singlehandedly decided to raise money for a well in Africa, which ended up happening ($10,000!). We flew to Ghana together and experienced life change while there. Wow.
- He loves music. He’s awesome at trombone and euphonium. He gets 1s. He was band president this year.
- He loves his sisters very much. In fact, all three kids just flat out love each other.
- He has a soft spot for animals.
- He is as neat and tidy as anyone could be. In fact, he beats his sisters in the Room Cleanliness Awards.
- He is gutsy. Last year he tried out for a play (and got the part) even though he never had tried drama before.
- He is a very safe and cautious driver.
- He makes me laugh.
- He is deeply empathetic. He can read moods very well and offer sympathy.
- He is a good leader. Others follow him and respect him.
- He gives good gifts. He takes time to really consider what someone would truly, really want.
- He can grow a beard in 36 hours. He started shaving in the sixth grade.
- He wrestles with questions, but instead of keeping them inside letting them fester, he dares to bring them up.
- He also tries to keep short accounts with his relationships.
- He is well liked by his teachers.
- He doesn’t wear Axe cologne.
- He LOVES to worship. I love singing alongside him because we both pick a harmony.
- He respects his parents and expresses his love for us. It’s amazing to hear his “I love you, Mom” coming from such a deep voice.
Aidan, I love you. I’m so so so proud of you. Happy Birthday, son!