Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
Here is the original viral post that this podcast is based on.
Some things to remember as you assess the ministry you’re associated with or the church you attend in terms of spiritual abuse:
- Honor is earned when leaders display excellent behavior; it is not granted simply because they bear the title of leader or pastor.
- One church or ministry isn’t the ONLY way to love Jesus. Beware of exclusive language.
- If you’re constantly feeling afraid or shamed, it may be time to move on.
- How a leader responds to you (defensive, angry, blaming you) will show you whether the ministry is a safe place.
- If you’re burned out and the ministry only loves your yes, but pushes against your no, reconsider your commitment to that ministry.
- Sometimes awesome leaders can drift into arrogance or control.
- If a leader leads a prestigious life, be wary.
I wish this podcast weren’t necessary. I wish all churches and ministries represented Jesus, who came to serve and not to be served. Ego can be a terrible corrupting factor. As can greed for money, or an insatiable need for fame.
We are called to build the kingdom of God, not the kingdom of Me, Me, Me. (Click to tweet)
Question: Have you ever experienced an abusive ministry or church? What helped you figure that out? How was leaving?
Would you do me a quick favor if you’re listened to this episode? Would you tweet?
I listened to the Uncaged Podcast today & learned how to spot spiritual abuse. (Click to tweet).