April 21, 2011
April 7, 2011
“How am I supposed to pray? How am I supposed to forgive? How do I become a good Christian?” Amy’s questions were answered with grace, as she shares here and on her blog, “A Grace Full Life.” (Your Thin Place story can encourage others. Here’s how you can share.)
Ever since I was a young child, I knew about God. I knew of the name Jesus. Somehow I just believed without knowing everything there was to believe.
I grew up as a product…
April 5, 2011
I pray this broadcast blesses you, that my story will give you hope that Jesus is bigger than anything you go through. That’s my heart. That’s my desire. He has taken me–a broken,…
March 3, 2011
Hurt happens. Healing can happen, too – even when the hurt is horrific. In today’s Thin Place story Loretta shows us we can receive God’s wisely gentle healing. (Has God ministered to you in a Thin Place? Want to share your story? Go here to read how.)
I was only 6 months old when the abuse began. At the age of eight I was taken to the root cellar and raped by my grandfather. After being raped I felt I was a dirty little girl. His shameful acts…
November 1, 2010
I’d given my book Thin Places to the people at my table group at Cape Town. Towards the end of the 8-day conference, one of the men in my group approached me. “I’ve been reading your book,” he said. “And I’d like to talk to you.”
We sat away from the hubbub. He told me God had been prompting him to say something to me and that he’d learned over his years with Jesus it was better to obey. He found that those promptings were God-breathed. (more…)
October 7, 2010
Many Thin Places are born of adversity. Thankfully, healing is available through the grace of God. Visit Ginny’s photo blog at GraceGlimpses.com and her RamblinRose blog to see reminders of God’s goodness. (Would you like to share your Thin Place story? Here’s the info on how you can.)
What was to begin a happy season of our new family’s life ended the innocence of a little girl. My new step-father was returning from Vietnam. (more…)
September 19, 2010
I’m thankful to have a blog post up on The Washington Post about the Belgium Catholic Church scandal. You can read When Sex Abuse Isn’t Taken Seriously here.
I can’t describe how angry I get when I hear about victims being ignored or shunned or silenced. Something akin to a holy roar rises up inside me. I remember a time in my life when a well meaning friend excused a man who may have been perpetrating (we couldn’t prove it). “You need to offer more grace,” he said. (more…)
April 27, 2010
Yesterday on my run, the song “Cedars of Lebanon” by U2 came up. The last stanza stunned me. It’s taken me a day to digest it, but I believe there’s deep truth for the victims of sexual abuse hidden there. The lyrics:
Choose your enemies carefully, ’cause they will define you Make them interesting ’cause in some ways they will mind you They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends Gonna last with you…
April 22, 2010
This is a hard post to write and admit to. But it’s true. You’d think that someone who was a victim of abuse would shun that victimhood status the moment she realized it, flinging it as far as the East is from the West. Nope. I coddled it. Nursed it. Loved it to ragged death.
At first I said nothing of the abuse. For ten years, I kept my mouth shut. I had nightmares, waking with sweat and fear and heart pounding, but I still didn’t reveal what had happened to me.
Then I met Jesus, and…
April 20, 2010
In no particular order, here are ten things I’ve dealt with in the aftermath of being raped as a five-year-old:
- I have believed I have no worth, other than to be used for someone else’s pleasure. I’m thankful this has faded quite a bit, and Jesus has healed me of so much. Still, it lingers. I can easily feel used in so many different areas of my life.
- I have been extremely afraid of the dark, of sleep, of storms, of scary situations, of…
Join the Uncaged!
- Spiritual Abuse: 10 Ways to Spot it September 29, 2011
- Called to write? 10 Ways to know. September 5, 2010
- From Haiti to the Hospital to Delirium October 13, 2012
- Why “Live Uncaged”? January 21, 2012
- How do you forgive a sexual abuser? By writing a letter March 6, 2013
- God sends us to hard places May 27, 2015
- Still Praying through this Podcast May 25, 2015
- Guest Post by Anonymous May 24, 2015
- Dear Mike Huckabee May 23, 2015
- Josh Duggar and the Problem of Easy Forgiving May 22, 2015
- Mary DeMuth: Thank you for all you've written. I appreciate it...
- Mary DeMuth: Thank you for the lively discussion here. I'm clo...
- Rosanne: I think most people don't understand what forgive...
- Xcalicoco: Forgiveness without accountability is toxic. It's...
- KFDP: I admit, because of my work, I can rarely listen t...
© 2013 Mary DeMuth. Site by Author Media