I recently took a walk in our local park just as the leaves were starting to emerge. I looked up, then felt that familiar pang that God was trying to say something to me. I remembered those teenagers when I was five. And for once I didn’t remember what they did. I remembered what I […]
video goes here
March 24, 2016
Last week I had one of those DAYS. A day where circumstances went zonkers and my fragile heart (from our circumstances of late) nearly broke. In that moment, I remembered the advice of someone, somewhere on the Internet. May have been a meme. Might have seen it on Instagram. I’m not sure. But it went […]
January 19, 2016
They sat across from me at lunch, two dear friends. And one said something like, “I don’t know anyone else who is harder on herself than you are.” She shook her head, and my other friend nodded. I could see they hurt for me, that it hurt them that I hurt myself with internal shaming […]
December 10, 2015
“Worry weighs a person down.” Proverbs 12:25a What a perfect verse for this time of year where nerves are frazzled, money is scarce, and relationships are stretched to the max. I thought you might enjoy a prayer to pray over your worries today. Just say these words out loud, believing that your good God loves […]
November 8, 2015
(I recently found out this post is no longer available on the site I originally wrote it for, so I’m posting it here for the sake of those who need it. This post is the impetus for writing Not Marked: Finding Hope and Healing after Sexual Abuse. And it is birthed in pain and reality, […]
October 26, 2015
I’ve had the sad privilege of walking alongside some friends who are battling in some significant relationships. They teeter on the edge of breakup mainly because the other party will not tell an honest story and their painful past has caught up with them. So many of us believe the lie that if we hide […]
October 12, 2015
When I was a little girl, before my father died, he would take me every other weekend. Several memories stand out. We would go to the Wise Penny in the University District and look for thrifty finds. He would let me “shop” in his basement where I “bought” (er, stole!) artifacts from the landlady’s boxes, […]
October 5, 2015
This is the third part of a three-part series about two words. Today’s two words? My faults. Read part one here, and part two here. I have many faults, and I don’t always share them in public like skivvies on a clothesline. But today as a part of being real, and helping us all feel […]
September 14, 2015
With permission, I’m sharing a letter I received that is so powerful, revealing the angst of healing from the past. I love her words, and I know you will resonate. Have you ever just wanted to be okay? … I read Thin Places, and many of the details are my same story: growing up in […]
July 13, 2015
I’m reading through old posts, and I came across this one based on a letter I received from a reader. It’s heartbreaking, and I wish I could jump through the screen to hug this girl Amy. I did the best I could by writing her back. But even then, the question lingers. Is God good? […]
Join the re-storied!
- Spiritual Abuse: 10 Ways to Spot it September 29, 2011
- Called to write? 10 Ways to know. September 5, 2010
- From Haiti to the Hospital to Delirium October 13, 2012
- Why “Live Uncaged”? January 21, 2012
- How do you forgive a sexual abuser? By writing a letter March 6, 2013
- Worth Testimony 3: Bill May 5, 2016
- Worth Testimony 2: Lea Ann May 4, 2016
- Worth Testimony 1: Tammy May 3, 2016
- 0014 – Emily Wierenga May 2, 2016
- 10 Lies that Kill Your Worth April 29, 2016
- Mary DeMuth: I agree, Ayla. Bill, thank you for your help and w...
- Ayla: It is so nice to get a male perspective, Bill! I t...
- Mary DeMuth: That's sweet. Maybe it will go on sale. :)...
- Mary DeMuth: He SO loves you, Starlina. What a beautiful name....
- Starlina616: I came across this today, a day when I'm feeling ...