November 30, 2008
November 28, 2008
The Chronological Study Bible is a terrific gift idea for the history-Bible buff on your Christmas list. It’s chock full of helpful sidebars, historical facts, archeological tidbits, maps, photos, timelines, and art.
What I loved: The fact that the Bible is arranged (as much as could be possible) in chronological order, making it a terrific book to read through in a year, and in order. Simply read five pages…
November 26, 2008
November 25, 2008
Two nights ago, I happened upon the sweet movie Bridge to Terabithia. Beautiful, beautiful. Of course I cried my way through the last part of the movie, as I always did. Even knowing what would happen, I cried. This time, though, the Lord gave me a new insight. Jess built a bridge where death had been. Instead of the gaping wound left by his friend’s death and a gnawing rope over the mouth of a raging river, he moved forward, creating something useful and stunning–a gateway to a new world. And that new world involved relationship.
November 21, 2008
I do believe the words Twist and Shout make for a great musical backdrop for friendship. Paradox seems to lurk around every corner, particularly in my relationships. Has this happened to you?
You meet someone, like that person immediately, strike up a friendship, go deep, and then everything falls apart? There was a time we were such good friends with folks that we considered willing our children to them. Now? No relationship at all. There have been people who have deeply influenced my books who I wouldn’t call up for a kindly chat. Those who once cheered, now…
November 19, 2008
November 18, 2008
November 18, 2008
I’ve puzzled lately why my nearly sixteen year old daughter has said, “Mom, you’re pretty,” so many times in the past few months. To be honest, it was nice to hear, particularly as I head towards being twenty-one-twenty-one. But then everything came together this weekend when I heard Vicki Courtney speak. She gave us five things our daughters wanted to tell us, but were afraid to. Here are the five. Pay careful attention to number three:
- Mom, please be my mom first, then my friend.
- Level with me about s*x.
- Make friends with your own reflection.
- Understand how important my…
November 14, 2008
If you’ve wondered what in the world Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture is all about, there’s a really nice summary and review here.
If you’d like to buy the book as a gift for some parents in your life, you can do so here. Or if you’d like it autographed by me, directly to your recipient, you can buy it here. Just let me know who…
November 13, 2008
As I passed the passengers on my flight, I grabbed a quick look at a lady who was doing needlepoint work. She was creating a cross-stitch, perhaps as a Christmas present. Imagine my surprise when I spied a flowery border with these words tucked inside: You Suck.
I don’t like that word, or that sentiment. It made me wonder what kind of person would needlepoint (such a homey activity) those words (such a mean-spirited message). Perhaps it’s a joke. Even so, I pray for the recipient of those words. And I pray he/she will know way down deep…
Get a Free eBook
Join the Uncaged!
A Word from Mary
Next Speaking Engagement:
- Spiritual Abuse: 10 Ways to Spot it September 29, 2011
- Called to write? 10 Ways to know. September 5, 2010
- From Haiti to the Hospital to Delirium October 13, 2012
- Why “Live Uncaged”? January 21, 2012
- Eat with Freedom July 3, 2013
- Backpacks of Hope December 11, 2013
- Some Gifts Are Not for Others; They Are for You December 9, 2013
- Uncaged Words of the Week December 8, 2013
- What Elphaba Taught Me About Popularity December 6, 2013
- What I Love and Hate About Fiction December 4, 2013
- Ann Marie: I am Ann Marie and words can't express how happy ...
- Mary DeMuth: You need to tell your story to a trusted person. T...
- Mary DeMuth: My pleasure, thanks for the comment, Dawn....
- Dawn: Thx for the update and info, Mary....
- Rose Marylove: Thanks to this great man of spirit called Dr UNOKO...
© 2013 Mary DeMuth. Site by Author Media